Can dogs eat grapes?

Health and Wellbeing

Although there’s plenty of different fruit and veggies that our dogs can eat, like apples, blueberries and carrots, grapes should be avoided at all costs. They might be a tasty, sweet snack for us humans, but unfortunately for your hound, grapes are toxic and could potentially lead to the worst if eaten.

Can dogs eat grapes?

So, read on to find out more about dogs and grapes, if dogs can tolerate any grapes at all, what the symptoms of toxicity are and what to do if your canine companion managed to snaffle this snack out of your fruit bowl.  

Can dogs eat grapes?

The answer to this is a resounding no, dogs definitely can’t eat grapes and they could have potentially deadly consequences if they do. No matter if they’re red, green, black or seedless grapes, all kinds of grape should be avoided, and this goes for dogs of any breed or age.

So, if you keep your fruit bowl on the table, make sure that it’s totally out of reach of your curious canine. Even if they’re totally trained not to counter surf, still don’t take the risk of leaving them on the side, you never know how mischievous and sneaky your pooch will be feeling that day.

The same goes for raisins, as these are simply just dried grapes and are still super dangerous. Make sure to take the same level of care for any foods that contain grapes or raisins too, for example they commonly crop up in your cereal, granola, trail mix and various different delicious baked goods. On the other hand, dates[DT2] , which do look a lot like grapes are safe for dogs to eat, and your pooch is sure to find them really tasty too.

For humans, grapes hold many health benefits, as they’re full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, as well as making a great sweet snack. However, just the one grape could cause toxicity for our dogs, leading to vomiting, diarrhoea and at worst, total kidney failure in which the prognosis is poor. All in all, you must never, ever feed your dog grapes.

Why are grapes toxic?

Research is constantly underway to try and work out exactly what the substance in grapes is that causes such a deadly reaction for our dogs, or the number of grapes that causes the reaction to occur.

It does appear that some dogs can tolerate eating grapes more than others, with some dogs unfortunately having a deadly reaction to just the one grape and some dogs not experiencing anything after multiple. However, it doesn’t seem like there is a reason that some dogs don’t react, it’s just totally random and depends on individual circumstances. Therefore, it’s absolutely essential that your dog doesn’t get their paws on any at all.

What are the signs and symptoms of poisoning in dogs?

Symptoms of poisoning from grapes will likely start to present within 24 hours of ingestion, but it could take up to 72 hours for the kidneys to begin shutting down.

Most of the symptoms are relatively nonspecific, so if you didn’t see your pooch snaffle some grapes, it’s unlikely that you’ll realise that poisoning is the reason behind it. However, if you notice any of the following symptoms, take your pet to the vets straight away so you can figure out what the problem is as quick as possible. Look out for:

Can just a single grape be dangerous?

Yes, unfortunately even just the one grape or raisin could be deadly for some dogs. It’s absolutely critical that you’re careful if you’re partial to snacking on grapes, don’t succumb to those puppy dog eyes!

What should I do if my dog eats a grape?

If you know that your pooch has stolen some grapes, don’t waste time waiting for the symptoms to show. Being fast is the best way to ensure your dog doesn’t suffer the worst consequences of poisoning, so an urgent trip to the vet is absolutely essential.

It goes without saying though, if you weren’t around to spot the sneaky snacking and you spot your dog acting strangely, displaying any of the symptoms listed, then you of course need to head to the vets rapidly.

What is the prognosis?

After consumption, the prognosis can vary depending on many factors, such as how many grapes your dog managed to eat, how quickly treatment started and whether or not kidney failure has ensued.

Overall, it’s pretty much impossible to determine what the prognosis is, all we can say is to get your pet to the vet as soon as possible, it truly is an emergency.

Recap

Grapes are really dangerous and need to be avoided at all costs, but tell your furry friend not to be sad! There’s plenty of other fruits that are totally safe for dogs to each, such as apples for one.

We include apples in our Pure recipes so your dog gets a good dose of vitamins A and C every time they eat their dinner. Pure is nutritionally balanced and complete, allowing your dog to enjoy meals that are not only tasty, but really healthy too.

Dr Andrew Miller BVSc MRCVS

Written by: Dr Andrew Miller MRCVS

Andy graduated from Bristol University in 2010 and sees nutrition as a foundation for our pet's wellbeing and takes a common-sense approach. We are what we eat, and it shouldn't be any different for our pets.